Homemade Fried Dough Zeppoles Recipe Without Ricotta is a family favorite Italian treat. You’ll find this simple zeppole recipe covered in powdered sugar typically at Fairs and Carnivals.
this post contains affiliate links, this means we make a small commission if you make a purchase – thanks for your support!
I originally wrote this post almost 5 years ago. I don’t want to change the recipe, but want to add a few new pictures! In my years of blogging I see a difference in my pictures, let’s be honest – they’re much better now! Also, this time I made them in hot coconut oil. I heat the coconut oil just as I would heat the other oil and it worked perfectly.
I wasn’t horrible, but I wasn’t great or Pinterest worthy. I made a batch of Homemade Fried Dough Zeppoles Recipe Without Ricotta the day we went to see my grandpa Sam in hospice. I was hoping he could have at least one.. however, he felt so sick he couldn’t eat anything.
Homemade Fried Dough Zeppoles Recipe Without Ricotta remind me of family and love. I just love to see my family enjoying something I made them too. I use a big pot to make them and then you could even use the oil to fry other stuff since the zeppole recipe doesn’t flavor it at all. We like to make homemade fries right after.
Kay was a fan as soon as she saw me dusting the powdered sugar on top of the zeppoles. She kept saying, “Mama can I have one snow?”. She ended up eating 3, but mainly the sugar on top. Just like a kiddo with a doughnut who eats the frosting and sprinkles, ha!
I’m excited to share my new photos but equally excited to compare it to my previous photos, so that’s why I’ll be leaving them up too! We hope you enjoy our Homemade Fried Dough Zeppoles Recipe Without Ricotta and try making it for you family too!
Homemade Fried Dough Zeppoles Recipe Without Ricotta
- 1 cup water about 110 degrees
- 1 package active dry yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Coconut oil for frying (or any vegetable oil)
- Powdered sugar for coating
- Mix the yeast and water.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour and salt.
- Once the yeast is creamy combine with the flour/salt mixture.
- Cover with saran and let sit for about an hour.
- The dough should double in size and become very airy.
- About 45 minutes into letting the dough sit you can start the fryer and heat to 375.
- Using your hand or a spoon plop the dough into the oil
- about a teaspoon size for smaller and tablespoon for bigger.
- Turn once and then once golden brown drain on paper towel.
- While hot and still oily shake them in a bowl filled with copious amounts of powdered sugar.
One thing I love about Carnival/Fairs is the Zeppoles!
I told my husband the last time we went I had to make them,
because I can’t just have them once a year.
They are best fresh, right out of the fryer and coated in powdered sugar.
This was my first time making them at home, and they were delicious!!
I will be making these again!
Cover them in sugar.. ah.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 4 fabulous bloggers, find out more about the Mini Chef Mondays Team!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share your own recipes!
Get featured and follow us too!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Homemade Frozen Lemonade // Finding Zest
- Cheeseburger Bites are the Perfect Party Food // Eating Richly
- Strawberry Honey Overnight Oats // Vegging at the Shore
- Red, White and Blue Jello Cups // My Mini Adventurer
The post Homemade Fried Dough Zeppoles Recipe Without Ricotta appeared first on Courtney's Sweets.