Baked Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts with fresh raw strawberry sprinkles. Fun, delicious, and easy!
Sweet Baby is a tricky little girl to back for when it comes to those “fun” sprinkles and colors. I actually searched for organic sprinkles and even most of them contain soy. We really try to avoid all types of artificial ingredients in ours and her diet. One thing we’ve noticed is she has an FPIES reaction to products that say “contains natural flavors”. Natural flavors can be anything, and for us we have to avoid that. Since it’s Valentine’s Day I wanted to make her an edible treat that she would love and would be semi-healthy. I gave her a choice of cupcake or doughnut by holding up the pans, she picked the heart shaped doughnut pan from Wilton!
We got to work in the kitchen with all her safe foods and just had a complete girls day. This is something I have been hoping for .. yes we have cooked together, but baking is really something I love doing with my sweet baby girl
When I was making the sprinkles, she was eating them faster than I ever saw her eat strawberries. We seem to think that fun treats are all those brightly colored, artificial, chemical filled candies. I like to step out of the box and think.. My daughter hasn’t had those things and she doesn’t know what to miss – as if there was anything to miss really? Being creative with our natural food sources can actually be fun and even better than something from a factory, just saying!
head on over to Know Your Produce for the how to on our homemade raw sprinkles!
Fun fact.. Strawberries were one of Sweet Baby’s first safe foods! We only buy her Organic Strawberries and only Driscoll’s Brand! Driscoll’s is our favorite brand for berries, and our strawberries are so delicious right now! Do you know how to pick perfect strawberries or how to hull strawberries? We’re BERRY obsessed.. pun intended
She had a blast helping me dip the doughnuts and place on the sprinkles, almost as much fun as picking them off and eating them! It’s fun to celebrate the holiday with something sweet, and my little Valentine sure did enjoy!
Baked Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts with RAW Strawberry Sprinkles
- 1 Cup All Purpose Organic Flour
- 1/2 Cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 7 1/2 Tablespoons Yogurt (We used Whole Milk Stonyfield, Plain)
- 1/4 Cup Softened Butter
- 1 Cup Organic Cane Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium size bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine vanilla, egg, yogurt, and butter. Mix all together in a stand mixer (or use a spoon and your muscles) and mix until combined. Grease doughnut pain with butter. TIP: I like to use the wrapper from butter! Place in pan and bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool before dipping into glaze
- To make the glaze:
- In a professional blender or food processor blend the sugar until it turns into powdered sugar. (I’ve purchased organic powdered sugar and it’s just not our favorite, you can use that and skip this step) In a sauce pan heat the ingredients together and then dip the doughnuts. Place on a wire wrack and allow excess glaze to drip off onto a covered surface.
- adapted from Buns In My Oven
disclosure: driscoll’s is super sweet and sent us coupons for berries – all opinions are our own. fact: we spend crazy money on berries weekly
The post Baked Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts with RAW Strawberry Sprinkles appeared first on Courtney's Sweets.